New IT Building
After participating BIT Sindri Global Connect Meet in Dubai on November 11-12, 2017, my wife, Radha, and I visited BIT Sindri on Nov. 18-19, 2017 to attend BITS Annual Alumni Meeting and, also, to attend various graduating classes anniversary celebrations. We were at BIT Sindri in February 2016 and November 2014 also. I am not exaggerating when I say, बीआईटी कैम्पस का काया पलट हो रहा है। I am including some photos below, judge yourself:
Dr. Dharmendra K. Singh, a BIT Sindri Alumni, is the new director. He took the charge in the beginning of 2017. He is dynamic and go getter. Students and faculty morals are up. Infrastructure improvements are progressing well.
With him at the helm, supportive Jharkhand government, and pumped up faculty, I would say, stars are lined up. And, BIT Sindri ke “achhe din” is just around the corner.
Dr. Singh invited Radha and I to stay at Director’s Bungalow. Ramesh Yadava, President BIT Sindri Alumni Association of North America, also stayed at the Bungalow. This provided us opportunity to discuss many BIT Sindri issues. I must say, I was very impressed with his vision about BIT Sindri. He assured me that he would work tirelessly to make BIT Sindri a top tier autonomous technical institute in India. And, we do not have to wait that long.
We all alumni need to do our part to help him succeed.
- MOU signed between the University of Aarhus, Denmark and BIT Sindri for technical exchange of students and faculty. Prof. Ramji Prasad, a 1967 ETC batch pass out alumni, represented the University of Aarhus, Denmark.
- Dr. D.K. Singh expressed his desire that at least 3 more MOUs should be signed between top technical world universities and BIT Sindri. He needs help from us all alumni living abroad.
- Met with the director and head of departments. Eight action items/wish list were developed, topping the list is setting up a central research/testing laboratory that will cater the needs of multi-departmental activities.
- Wi-Fi connectivity, Jharkhand Govt. escalated with highest priority
- 2 doctors to be posted immediately on BIT Sindri campus clinic.
- INR 200 crores budgeted for BIT Sindri infrastructure improvements such as construction of new hostels, guest house etc., repairs/renovations of hostels, department and auxiliary buildings.
- IT building completed, and is now functional
- Some 30 senior faculty to be recruited from the pool of retired IIT professors for 3 years to address faculty shortage, and to bypass the public service commission
- Extensive coverage by news media.
- Shashank Shekhar Garuryar, Sweta Kumari and their team did a great job of holding another successful BITS Annual Alumni meeting (~750 in attendance). Kudos to them.
- Arts club students sang the BIT Sindri theme song in the annual alumni meet. The song was composed, and music by Ramesh Yadava of BITS AA of North America. Listen to BIT Sindri Theme Song below:
- Dr. DK Singh, in addition to being the Director of BIT Sindri, has also been appointed, in-charge Vice Chancellor of Koyalanchal University, Dhanbad. Dr. Singh however assured us that his priority is to work tirelessly to bring the old glory back to BIT Sindri and make it the top tier autonomous technical institute in India.
- Currently there are three contracting companies working. Of these, two companies working on repairs of hostels and staff quarters, and new construction have done commendable and timely work. However, the third company, responsible for repairs and improvements of the department buildings, is way behind. The toilets in these buildings are still not functional causing great inconvenience to students and faculty.
Unofficially, I came to know that this third company would be removed by the end of November, and the work would be reassigned to a new contractor.