Academic Qualification :
B.Sc. (Engineering)- Mechanical (1st Class), Bihar Institute of Technology, Sindri, Ranchi University, India (Year 1966).
Master of Engineering; Specialization in Mechanical Machine Design; University of Roorkee; India (Year 1968).
Professional Experience :
April 2005- onwards:
Working as Director on the board of Charisma Careers Pvt. Ltd, Vadodara, Gujarat.
April 2002- onwards:
Working as Director on the board of Charisma Education Pvt Ltd, Vadodara, Gujarat.
April 1999- 2005 :
Working as Executive Director of Gramya Research Analysis Institute for its Scientific & Technical Consultancy Division. Worked as Advisor since inception of the organisation (since Year 1984).
November 1996 to March 1999:
Worked as Director (Technical) with SRV Engineers Pvt Ltd, Vadodara Gujarat India guiding all the corporate level project engineering and management activities, business development, contracting, personnel and administrative activities. Following major projects were guided and completed;
- Project Construction Supervision, Inspection, Site Quality Control for Civil, Piping and Equipment Erection at Purified Terepthalic Acid (PTA) Plant of SVC Superchem Ltd, Chhata, Mathura, UP,India (1997)
- Inspection, Expediting of Piping Materials; construction supervision of Piping and Instrumentation erection at Paper Mill Project, JK Corp, Jaykaypur, Raygada, Orissa, India (1997)
- Design, Engineering, preparation of Mechanical Data Sheet, Estimations and Fabrication Drawings of equipment, heat exchangers, towers etc for various refinery project of Larsen & Toubro Ltd, EPC Center, HARP, Vadodara, India (1998)
- Project Cost estimates for Offsites/ Utilities of Ammonia and Urea Expansion projects, Hazira (Surat) and Gorakhpur (UP) for Krishak Bharati Cooperative Ltd, Hazira, Surat, Gujarat, India (1998).
- Design, Engineering, Drawings and detailed fabrication drawings of Piping Racks of Combined Cycle Power Project, Pipavav, Gujarat for L&T Sargeant & Lundy Ltd, Vadodara, Gujarat, India (1998).
- Project Engineering, design, procurement assistance for Process Equipments, machineries and instruments of a pesticide project, SPEC Kovvur (AP), for Project Technologies India Ltd., Vadodara, Gujarat, India (1998).
- Plant Engineering, Technical Troubleshooting and Failure Analysis jobs for number of operating process units (1998).
- Project feasibility reports, project site locations and related project management assistance to clients (1998).
Sept. 1994 - Oct. 1996 :
Worked as General Manager, Humphreys & Glasgow Consultants Ltd. (A Project Engineering Consultant and Associate of Jacobs Engineering, UK / USA), Vadodara Regional Office, Gujarat, India guiding and heading all function of Project Management, Sales & Marketing, Engineering, and Administration & Finance as regional head.
Following major projects were initiated & guided towards completion;
- Design and Engineering for documentation of Instrumentation / Automation of Petroleum Refinery Projects, Indian Oil Corporation Ltd, Gujarat Refinery, Vadodara (1995).
- Project Engineering, procurements and construction management services for Engineering Polymers / Agrochemicals Project, EI Dupont Pvt Ltd, Savli, Vadodara, Gujarat, India (1996).
- Project Engineering & procurements services for Coconut Oil refining project in Goa, for Marico Industries Ltd, Mumbai (1996).
Nov. 1991 - Oct. 1993 :
Worked as General Manager (Technical), VXL India Ltd., Saurashtra Chemicals, (A heavy chemicals manufacturing unit with major products like Soda Ash, Sodium Bicarbonate, Caustic Soda, Calcined Bauxite, Bromine, Iron casting, Equipment fabrications), Porbandar, Gujarat, India.
Major functions and achievements were as follows;
- Planned and established scientific Predictive Maintenance systems, Nondestructive Testing Laboratory.
- Organized Design, Engineering and Project management group, the group undertook expansion projects like 1300 TR VAHP Water Chilling Plant, Carbon Dioxide Compressor Plant, Fluidized bed boiler (steam generation unit) and 5 MW turbo-generator.
- Established systems for life assessment of pipelines, equipments, boilers including corrosion monitoring.
- Techno-economic feasibility and project cost estimates for 600 tonnes per day Soda Ash Plant for expansion of Porbandar Plant, salt and bromine manufacture plant in Khavda (Kuchchh).
- Manpower planning, selection and training for Porbandar operating and expansion plants.
Worked as Dy. Chief Engineer / Project Manager / Chief Engineer with Projects & Development India Ltd, Vadodara, Gujarat, India in their Design/ Engineering and Project Management Group. Various assignments and respective projects completed are listed;
- Design Engineering & Procurement services covering process equipments like heat exchangers, towers, vessels & reactors for Ammonia / Urea plant of Rashtriya Chemicals & Fertilisers Ltd, Thal Project, Maharashtra; Urea Plant of Krishak Bharati Coop. Ltd, Hazira, Surat, Gujarat; Ammonia / Urea plants of National Fertilizers Ltd, Guna Project, Madhya Pradesh and Indian Farmers Fertilizers Coop. Ltd, Anola Project, Uttar Pradesh. These projects were multistream 1350 T per day of Ammonia and 1500 T per day Urea production capacity each stream.
- Design, Engineering, Procurement services for equipments, piping and machineries of Insitu combustion Oil Recovery Project / Pilots, Waste Water Treatment Plants, Gas Metering Stations, and Oil/Gas pipelines systems for Oil & Natural Gas Corporation Ltd., Vadodara /Mehsana /Ahmedabad /Ankaleshwar projects (1985-1986).
- Project Management of Oil & Gas field related projects as listed above for ONGC which included activities like engineering coordination project proposals, project cost estimates, scheduling and monitoring of all engineering / procurements/ construction contract activities, construction planning, supervision and monitoring, stores management, inspection and expediting, testing and commissioning services (1986-91).
Joined as Assistant Project Engineer (Mech.) and worked as Project Engineer / Dy Chief Engineer (Mech.) in Design /Engineering group of Planning & Development Division of Fertilizer Corporation of India Ltd., Sindri, Bihar, India (finally renamed as Projects & Development India Ltd.). Various assignments completed are as listed;
- Design and engineering development of following mechanical items were undertaken for indigenisation, standardization and cost control for fertilizers /chemicals projects; Valves, Pipe Supports, Expansion Joints, Tall Towers, Spherical vessels, Cyclone Separators, Vibratory Screens, Bin Activators, Silencers, Diffusers, Bins/Silos (Above items were designed, got manufactured/ fabricated under our supervision, tested and installed in projects).
- Standardization for design, engineering, inspection, testing, construction practices relevant to fertilizer, chemicals, petrochemicals and engineering sectors were undertaken, material handling, and fabrication practices.
- Plant failure analysis, specialized Nondestructive testing, materials testing, including metallurgical testing (including Scanning Electron Microscopy, corrosion tests) were done to solve fertilizer / chemical plant problems. Such work included recommendation for corrective actions and design improvements.
- Study of plant pollution problems, remedies for pollution controls, relevant testing and plant system improvements were done for Sulfuric Acid plant, Urea plant, Power plants and Phosphoric acid plant.
- Organized Mechanical Testing Laboratory and special Stress Analysis Lab for testing of engineering materials /equipments for data generation for equipment / piping components designs. Some of the special stress analysis jobs included stress distribution in components of tall towers (Skirt to shell joints), area of column to spherical shall junctions in spherical storage, pressurized vessels (for ammonia converter/ urea reactors), expansion bellows, oblique nozzles to vessels junctions etc. Special Fracture Mechanics Parameters tests were developed to ensure proper failure analysis, life assessments and recommendations for defect acceptance criteria.
- Special studies were undertaken for proper selection of engineering materials, their fabrication and inspection methods for fertilizers, chemicals and petrochemicals plants/ equipments. These included selection of suitable types of alloy steels, stainless steels, alloys & nickel alloys.
- Guided and supervised number of Master of Engineering dissertation /thesis on projects relevant to fertilizer /petrochemical sectors. The students of Motilal Nehru Regional Engg. College, Allahabad (UP) and Bihar Institute of Technology, Sindri (Bihar) were associated.
Awards & Prizes :
Received the President of India Cash Prize instituted by the Indian Society of Theoretical & Applied Mechanics, Kharagpur for the best paper presented at the annual conference in Surat 1977.
Publications / Seminars & Conferences Organized :
- 120+ papers had been published in various National and International Technical Journals / Proceedings of the seminars and conferences and presented at different forums.
- Co-authored two books as published by Projects & Development India Ltd., Sindri;
: Engineering Manual - Valves
: Thermal Insulation
- Co-authored a book published by Gramya Research, Vadodara;
: Project Management in Indian Scenario
- Honorary Editor of the Journal for Process Equipments & Piping Technology (J-PEP), published by Gramya Research Analysis Institute, Vadodara, India.
- Guided and organized 50+ seminars and conferences of national level on Technical / Management topics under the banner of Gramya Research Analysis Institute, Vadodara. These conferences /seminars were held in Vadodara, Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Pune, Goa, Ooty, Varanasi, Ankaleshwar, Vapi, Ahmedabad and Muscat (Oman).
Professional Memberships :
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), USA
- Member, American Water Works Association (AWWA), USA
- Member, Gujarat Safety Council, Vadodara, India
- Member of the Indian Institute of Metals, Calcutta.
- Fellow of the Indian Institute of Plant Engineers, Chennai.
- Member of the Indian Society of Nondestructive Testing, Chennai; Worked as Secretary/Vice President of Baroda Chapter (1983-1986).
Visits Abroad :
- Federal Republic of Germany, University of Stuttgart, July 1971 to attend International Conference/Workshop on Engineering Fracture Mechanics.
- Denmark; Haldor Topsoe A/S, Copenhagen, July/August 1985 for Project Coordination activities of Ammonia Project, National Fertilisers Ltd Vijaipur (Guna) Project, India .
- Oman: Rusayl Institute, Rusayl (Muscat), October 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 for conducting technical training programs on Piping and Pressure Vessel technology.
- Qatar: Conducted programs on Pressure vessel, piping and storage tank inspection in Doha, 2005
- USA: Portland (Oregon), San Francisco (CA), Los Angeles (CA), Las Vegas (Nevada) and Vancouver (Washington) to explore and survey the scope of technical training institute in USA; June- Aug 2006