||My recent visit to BIT Sindri
I and my wife recently visited BIT Sindri on
10th August. We stayed at ACC General Manager's residence as he
happened to be our relative. While coming to BIT, we entered
through 12 no. gate. My wife exclaimed, "Wah! BIT Sindri
has changed". What she saw was the private security guard
in formal dress opening the gate. It appeared BIT is making
efforts and looking forward. Since we had a very short stay, we
could not take photographs to show our alumni the changes we
I remained in the
Director's office for almost two hours, discussing various
issues where some of the HODs also participated. At the end, I
asked the Director if he can provide me the report card of BIT's
progress during the last 1 year which I intend to let our alumni
know. Dr.G.Kumar, TPO and the Information Officer of BIT,
promptly prepared a summary and gave it to me. I am happy to
reproduce it below for your information.
During One Year [August 2006 - August 2007]
- Compiled by Dr.G.Kumar
1. Recruitment of 42 faculty members.
2. Revision of syllabi of a UG courses by experts from IITs and
3. Adoption of semester system in all UG courses from the
4. Re-designation of BSc Engg to BE and MSc Engg to ME from
5. Regularization of PG teachings.
6. Accreditation of 8 UG courses out of 10 [CSE and IT courses
are not yet accredited].
7. Almost 100% placement. Some students of Met Engg got as many
as 4 offers.
8. Visit of 42 companies for placement during the session
9. Provided platform for campus placement of nearby polytechnic
10. Conducted 2 national workshops:
1.Value Engg [April 2007]
2. Industry Institute Interaction [July
11. Major project worth Rs.12.37 crore from World Bank under
12. Renovation of Despande Auditorium: wall-to-wall carpet, 96
cushioned chairs of Godrej make in
first 4 front rows.
13. Campus wide networking including academic buildings,
hostels, offices and residential quarters
with 4 MB leased line of BSNL -
to be completed by August 2007.
14. Alumni House: AC, Colour TV and Geyser fitted in all the 9
15. Procured 600 computers, given to each faculty member,
departments, sections, offices etc.
16. Development and beautification of existing nursery near
17. Construction of 3 boys and 2 girls hostels - multi-seated
with 120 occupancy each.
18. Provision of one AC class room in each Dept with all the
19. Training to nearly 800 persons of nearby society in trades
like carpentry, motor winding,
black smithy, TV repairing,
plumbing, sheet metal etc.
20. Deployment of external private security guards.
21. Boundary wall construction all along the institutional area.
22. Clearance of all backlog promotions of faculty members and
23. Provision of Aqua Guard in all the hostels for pure drinking
24. Governing Body of BIT formed with Fr. Cashmera Raj,
ex-Director of XLRI, as the Chairman.
25. 3-5 days management training to all faculty members at XLRI,
26. 10 days induction training to newly recruited teachers at
27. Nearly 20 publications by the faculty members during
Note: Director, Dr.S.K.Singh, saw the above
compilation by Dr.G.Kumar and commented that there are many more
things which can be added to this list but for the time being it