Baigan (brinjals small size) - 500gm
Hara Pyaj (Spring Onion) - 250 gm
Green chilli - 1-2 (chopped)
Mustard oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Whole red chilli - 1-2
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp or as desired
Turmeric powder - 3/4 tsp
Method of Preparation
1. Cut brinjals into 1cm cubes, wash, mix in 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and 1/4 tsp salt, and keep aside.
2. Clean and chop spring onion into 1 cm size. Wash with enough water and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a kadai, add red chilli and fry.
4. Add mustard seeds and let them crackle.
5. Add brinjal, spring onion and green chilli and saute for 1 minute.
6. Add the remaining salt and turmeric powder, mix and cook covered on medium to low heat. Stir intermittently.
7. Add coriander powder when almost done.
8. Fry on high heat for 3-5 minutes, till brinjal pieces are lightly browned. Stir very gently while doing this step otherwise brinjal may get mashed.
9. Remove from heat and serve hot with paratha or roti.
Notes & Tips