Chichinda (snakegourd) – 500 gm
Mustard oil – 1 tsp (for cooking) + 1 tbsp (for garnishing)
Mangraila (Kalonji) – ½ tsp
Green chilli – 2 (slit)
Salt – as per taste
Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
Mustard paste – 1 tsp
Posto (Khuskhus/Poppy seeds) paste – 1 tbsp
Water – ¾ cup
Method of Preparation
1. Lightly scrape the surface of chichinda, with back of a knife. Wash, pat dry and cut into juliennes. Discard the seeds.
2. Heat oil in a kadai, add mangraila and green chillies.
3. Add chichinda and sauté for a few minutes on high heat.
4. Add salt and turmeric powder, and mix.
5. Add water and bring to boil.
6. Add mustard and posto pastes, mix and lower heat.
7. Cover and simmer till chichinda is cooked.
8. Increase heat and allow the gravy to dry up. We just want a little moisture in the end.
9. Lower the heat, add rest of the mustard oil and mix.
10. Simmer for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
11. Serve hot with plain rice, as a side dish.
Notes & Tips