Rohu / Katla fish - 1 kg (cut into 1/2" thick pieces)*
*(discard head portion or use it for some other dish)
Cauliflower - 1 medium (cut into large florets)
Potato - 2 medium (cut into 1" cubes)
Shelled peas - 1 cup
Onion - 2 medium (finely chopped)
Tomato - 2 medium (finely chopped)
Ginger (grated) - 1 and 1/2 tsp
Green chilli - 3-4 (slit)
Mustard oil - 4 tbsp
Salt - 2-3 tsp or as desired
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
Bay leaf - 1-2
Green cardamom - 3-4
Cloves - 3-4
Cinnamon - 2" stick
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 1 tsp
Water - 3 cups (or as desired for the gravy)
Coriander leaves - few sprigs (finely chopped)
Method of Preparation
1. Wash and drain fish pieces. Add 1 and 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, mix and set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the fish pieces, on low heat till they are browned as desired.
3. Transfer the leftover oil to a deep kadai, add 1 tbsp fresh oil and heat.
4. Add cauliflower florets and potato pieces, and saute on high heat till you observe brown patches on the vegetables. Remove, drain oil and keep aside.
5. Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil to the leftover oil and heat.
6. Add cumin seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, green cardamoms and fry for 1 minute.
7. Add onion and chillies, and saute till onion turns light brown.
8. Add tomato, sugar, remaining turmeric and salt, and saute till excess moisture is absorbed.
9. Add 1 tbsp water, cumin powder and ginger, and saute till the water is absorbed.
10. Add the sauteed vegetables and peas and saute for 1-2 minutes.
11. Add water, bring it to boil and cook the vegetables, covered on low heat.
12. Add fried fish to the gravy, when the vegetables are almost done. Mix and let boil on medium to low heat for 6-7 minutes.
13. Lower the heat and simmer for another 3 minutes.
14. Remove from heat, sprinkle coriander leaves and serve hot with plain rice.
Notes & Tips
1. This preparation has been made with Bengali method of making fish curry of thin gravy (Jhol), that is eaten on a daily basis.
2. The vegetables can be altered as per choice. Some people like to put Raw Banana, broad beans and Brinjal instead of Potato and Cauliflower.