Green banana (kachcha kela) – 2 nos (cut in thick flat pieces)
Potato – 2 medium (cut in thick long pieces)
Mustard oil – 2 tbsp
Panch phoran – 1 tsp
Whole red chilli – 2 nos
Tomato – 1 large (chopped)
Mustard seeds (yellow or black) – 1 tsp
Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Chilli powder (I use Kashmiri mirch powder for less heat and good colour) – 1 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Turmeric powder – ¾ tsp
Water - 2 cup or as desired (for gravy)
Coriander leaves – as desired (for garnishing)
Method of Preparation
1. Grind tomato and mustard together in a grinder. Keep aside for 15 minutes.
2. Heat 1 ½ tbsp oil in a nonstick kadai, add potato pieces and saute on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the green banana pieces and saute for another 2-3 minutes, till the surface of the vegetables is slightly browned. Drain, remove and keep aside.
4. Add the rest of the oil in the same kadai and heat.
5. Add panch phoran and let crackle. Add red chilli and fry for 2-3 secs.
6. Add garlic paste and saute till you get the aroma.
7. Now add tomato-mustard paste, chilli powder, salt, turmeric powder and 2 tbsp water, and saute till oil separates.
8. Add water, mix and bring to boil.
9. Add the vegetable pieces and cook till done, on low heat.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with plain rice.
Notes & Tips