For the filling:
Green peas (Matar) – 2 cups (I have taken Frozen)
Oil – 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Whole Red Chili - 2
Bay Leaves(Tejpatta) - 2
Black Cardamom - 1
Salt – 1 tsp or as per taste
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Ginger + Green Chili (minced) – 1 tbsp (or as desired)
Roasted cumin powder – 1 tsp
For the dough:
Maida – 2 cup
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt – ½ tsp or as per taste
Water – as required to make poori like dough
Oil – as required for frying
Rice flour – as required for dusting (optional)
Method of Preparation
1. Coarsely grind the frozen peas (in frozen state) in a mixer.
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add red Chilies, Bay leaves, Black Cardamom and cumin seeds. Let crackle.
3. Add the ground green peas, minced ginger and chilli, salt and turmeric. Stir on medium heat till excess moisture is absorbed and the rawness is gone.
4. Add roasted cumin powder, mix well, cover and remove from heat. Let this filling cool to room temperature.
5. Add salt and oil to maida and mix well.
6. Sprinkle water little by little and knead to make a poori like dough.
7. Divide the dough into 16 equal parts and make smooth balls by rolling between palms.
8. Fill in the peas mixture in each of them, apply a little rice flour on the surface and roll them into 3” dia kachoris.
9. Deep fry on high heat till desired browning on both sides.
10. Serve with your favorite sabji.
Notes & Tips
1. I have learnt this easy method of making the peas filling (using frozen peas) from my sister Soma, who is herself a very good cook and loves to experiment a lot in the kitchen.
2. You can vary the spices as per your own choice, to make a tasty filling. However, it is advisable to keep the filling rather plain as green peas have their own distinct taste.