Finely shredded fresh coconut (नारियल) - 3 cups
Shredded dry (or fresh) coconut (नारियल) - 1/2cup (approx.) for rolling/garnishing (optional)
Jaggery (powdered) (गुड़) - 1 and 1/2 cup
Water - 2 tbsp
Ghee - 1/2 tsp
Green cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Edible camphor powder - 1 pinch
Method of Preparation
1. Melt jaggery in a saucepan with water and strain through cloth to remove impurities.
2. Transfer to a kadai and add ghee. Bring to boil and reduce heat to medium. Keep boiling for 2 minutes.
3. Add the shredded coconut and mix well. Keep stirring on low heat for 1-2 minute.
4. Remove from heat, add cardamom powder or camphor powder and mix.
5. Make laddoos by taking handfuls at a time and pressing with medium pressure.
6.Roll the laddoos in dry coconut and press lightly.
Notes & Tips
1. The duration for which coconut is cooked with jaggery will determine the juiciness of laddoos. If it is done too much the laddoos will become dry.
2. You can also use shredded dry coconut instead of fresh coconut for the laddoos. The taste however, will have to be compromised in that case.