Whole Wheat Flour – 1.5 cup
Ghee – 1/3 cup
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Milk – 1/4 cup
Dessicated Coconut – 1/2 cup
Fennel Seeds – 1 tbsp
Green Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
Oil for frying Thekuas (Alternatively you may use ghee)
Method of Preparation
1. Take Sugar and milk in a pan, and heat to melt sugar. Use very low heat for this.
2. Cool and keep aside.
3. Take flour in a mixing bowl. Add the other dry ingredients and mix.
4. Add the melted sugar, little by little, and mix thoroughly to form a semi soft dough. If the dough remains crumbly at this stage, sprinkle some water till the dough comes together.
5. Take small portions from the dough and roll them to form oblong balls. Press the balls lightly to form thekuas.
6. Heat oil in a kadhai, and fry thekuas in it, on very low temperature till they turn brown.
7. Cool to room temperature and serve only after 3-4 hours.
Notes & Tips
1. Mould only 5-6 thekuas at a time and fry them. Do not keep the moulded thekuas for long.
2. Keep the dough covered in between the batches, so as to prevent it from drying up.
3. Fry the the thekuas on low heat, otherwise the centre will not get cooked.
4. Thekuas can be stored in airtight containers for up to 2-3 weeks.